Saturday, November 10, 2007

Saturday in London

Beautiful sunny day today in London. I guess I just brought the sunshine with me. :)

So today I woke up and took a walk down Oxford St. which is just right down the road from the Redland House Hotel. I was looking for a Tesco - which is a small grocery store that dots about every other corner in the city. I usually find one when I want to save a bit of money on food and not eat out. I can buy a decent little sandwich, some pasta, chips and a soda for about 3.5 pounds. And I had full intentions of doing just that today for lunch. Come to find out, Oxford St. is one of the more upscale shopping areas in London and there was not a Tesco to be found. I walked for 45 minutes and the further I walked, the more densely populated the sidewalk become until I was in a mass of flowing bodies. Like a mall the week before Christmas.

Of course, during this time I am always on high alert. I don't like to think of myself as paranoid or distrusting, but I have so many things that are very important on my body, such as my passport and wallet. And over the last week I have become very proficient about where I keep things. My passport, in my front right pocket with my change. My wallet in my back right pocket, turned sideways so it would be hard to get out. My Underground Oyster card in my back left pocket. My camera in my front left pocket. My map in my jacket left pocket... and so on. Anyhow, anytime anyone bumps me in the slightest, first thing I do is check the important things, passport, wallet. Again, like I said, I don't think I am a paranoid person but lately I feel that way.

I finally turned around and headed back, then past my hotel in the other direction. This part of town is heavily middle eastern and the stores cater to such. Some of the restaurants and deli's looked absolutely wonderful. There are these hooka smoke 'delis' all over the place with tables outside and people smoking a very alluring smelling tobacco. It really smells delicious and I must admit, though I will never be a smoker again, I want to try it at least once. Course I would be the only moronic white guy there smoking away at his giant bong and for all I know it would make me sick. But when in Rome!

But today I was going cheap and so I kept walking until I finally found a grocery store that would have what I want. It was the largest I have seen yet in London. It sort of reminded me of grocery stores in the US and as terrible as that sounds, it comforted me.

Which reminds me of a discussion I had with Renee last night about being an American in London. How its different for Americans, growing up in our country with other 'foreigners' and now WE are the foreigners. It sort of strange being labeled that way too, as an 'American'. Not in a bad way or anything, but just how nobody ever labels you that back home cause everyone is an American for the most part. It is just sort of strange being the odd man out and it definitely removes you from your comfort zone. Some people love that, others hate it. I am not exactly sure where I fit just yet. :)

When I returned to the Redland House Hotel I met the owner of the place. He asked how my stay was going and we ended up having a 2-plus hour discussion covering everything from relationships, religion and mediation. He is a muslim from India and has family all over the world. Both of his children are in the US. He has brothers in Florida. He sure liked to talk and was full of little life secrets, such as 'When a women starts yelling at you, just let her talk, never say anything. Then when she finally gives you an opening by saying something that you can give her praise for, quickly give her praise"... he also warned about that rough 1 week time of the month when women are extra emotional. He warned of the problems of 'mother in laws" and alcohol. He also believes in the ability to cure yourself through meditation. He was an interesting guy. He was actually very intelligent, a successful business man and an engineer. He was very pleasant to chat with.

I also found out there is a doctor in my hotel who works for Lilly in Indianapolis. I haven't met him but saw his card on the desk. Small world. Course, I had to wonder why a doctor who works for Lilly would stay here, as I imagine he could afford a nicer place. Oh well.


Last night's Andrew Bird show was AMAZING! One of the best shows I have seen in a long time. The venue was very cool as well. It looked - and smelled - like it was ancient. Possibly and old opera house. Who knows what sort of history that place had. I was able to get very close to the stage and had a great view. If you are unfamiliar with Andrew Bird, I would say he is a prodigy of sorts. He plays all sorts of instruments and has a wonderful voice and can whistle almost perfectly.



Also, one thing he does during his shows that I have never seen before. He has several microphones that he can sing into and has foot petals that allow him to record little bits then loop them so that they keep repeating in the background. I had heard that he does this and was anxious to see it in action. For example, he would play his violin for a bit into one microphone, then he would hit a foot petal and it would start playing in the background over and over. Then he would go and start clapping into the microphone with the beat and that too would be added to the loop being played in the background. Then he would go get his guitar and start playing his song with the violin and clapping beat going on in the background. It was really impressive and he is a true artist and a real pleasure to watch. The video above will show this process. Especially towards the middle of the song. Unfortunately though, I was so close that the sound is blown out pretty but you can get the idea. I have a better video that I will replace this one with tomorrow.

Tonight is Saturday and the plan is to meet Renee for dinner and then we are going to meet some other Americans in Soho at an Australain bar that has been described to me as a 'meat market'. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! :)

Oh, I did find that I lost my first thing of value. My little hand held camera, a Canon PowerShot SD800, well I lost the battery charger (not the camera). So, not the biggest lost as the camera is worth $300... the charger will probably cost me $40 if I can even find one around here. I use this camera ALOT though and will need to replace the charger. Problem is, they will all probably be for UK plugs and that wont help me at all when I get back home so I will probably have to buy two of them in the long run. :(

I have no idea where I lost it as I never remember even seeing it here in London. (Mike, any chance you have found something like that in your house?)

Well Renee just called, time to get ready.

Tomorrow, I need to find a laundry mat... badly... :)

No comments: