Wednesday, November 14, 2007

THE HUNT FOR TYLENOL - my first bargain in London

Well, I am not fully healthy just yet. Actually I am still deep within my flu. So I am spending my third day in a row in bed, with a fever. Not exactly what I had in mind for this trip. But, honestly my spirits are holding pretty well and I am very anxious to get out of this room!

Yesterday I had three of my aches/chills/fever/sweat sessions and boy they are a real killer. Not fun at all. So I started reading online and found that if you take a steady dose of Tylenol it might help avoid these little sessions. Course, last night I took the last of my packed Tylenol.

First thing I think of when I awake this morning at 7:30 (about 5 hours after I fell asleep) is "Geez, I sure hope they sell Tylenol here". I definitely had a mild-grade fever and wanted to desperately get some drugs in me before another 'session' started. At all costs, avoid the sessions! :)

I get dressed and find the nearest convenient store and I see nothing like Tylenol. I worry... Then I remember this handy dandy thing called the internet so I rush back to my room and do a search, come to find out its not called Tylenol or even acetaminophen... Here, its called Panadol (or Paracetamol).

With this new gained knowledge I rushed back to the store, hoping it wouldn't cost me 20 pounds to buy (I would have paid that much). And this is where I can say I found my first REAL bargain in London. I bought a 16 pack of 500 mg Panadol for 36 pence. THATS ONLY ABOUT 17 CENTS US!

OK, well I am not 100 percent sure how much Tylenol goes for these days in the states, but I know its more then 17 cents. So I am thinking, I should buy 10,000 packs of this Panadol and ship it back to the states and charge... say 40 cents a pack. I bet that is still cheaper. I could get rich! :)

Possibly even Tylenol is affected by the terrible US drug prices... but I am unsure how. There are generic versions of it. Anyhow, seems to me this could be a whole nother discussion.

That being said, I bought my Panadol and have already taken 4 pills spread out over the recommended time frame. I have yet to have a 'session' to my great relief and though I definitely still have a fever, am hoping I am nearing the end of this crappy flu.

Hopefully my next post I will be out exploring again.

Also, to my family, don't worry, I am not dieing. I just got the flu... :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

VERY happy you are not dying! Anita