Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Cliffs of Moher


Monday we woke up early (before sunrise) and packed up and left the Doolin Activity Center in Doolin, Ireland. It was by far the nicest place I have stayed in. This town is a big tourist draw in the summer because it is close to the Cliffs of Moher. But, in late November, it is near empty and the prices are cheap.

Lots of locals though. Sunday night we went down to a little pub right down the road. It was a nice little place. Got my last Guinness in Ireland and Renee ordered some mussels. I am not a fan of seafood but I forced 3 of them down. There were locals sitting at the tables with instruments playing authentic Irish music. It was charming.

But Monday was our last day so we took off towards the Cliffs of Moher.


On the way, we passed this cool tower castle thingy!

They were amazing. I will let the photos do the talking on this one. (More photos on my flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kutyadog/

After the cliffs we drove to Shannon, Ireland and caught a flight back to London. The roads in Ireland are funny, they are thin and usually have stone walls on both sides leaving very little room to move around in your lane (which is on the left side of the road). Also not many highways or stop lights. Instead of stop lights they do the circle round abouts. Took us a while to figure those out but we managed. Nice driving Renee! :)

Also, I am getting old. My left ankle (achilles tendon) has been giving me trouble. Must have strained it at some point - I am doing a lot more walking then usual. So for the past three days I have been walking like a gimp! :) Bit better today.

So, right now I am at Renee's and am all packed and shortly will be catching a train to a station that I will catch a train to the airport, where I will fly to Paris!

Am very excited to hit continental Europe but nervous as well. Language barrier and all. I figure I have finally found comfort in London and am once again leaving my comfort zone. But, I have reservations in a pretty cheap little family run hotel in central paris for 50 Euros a night. Hotel de Nevers.

Really excited. Also am working on my French (apparently the French really appreciate it if you try to speak their language)... though, when I try to speak it, it usually sounds like I add a Spanish accent to it... not sure why. :)

OK I need to go. Next post will be from Paris.


No comments: