Saturday, November 29, 2008

Kho Phi Phi

I have arrived at Phi Phi island and already I am VERY happy I have left Phuket. Though in the few hours I have already been here, it is obvious that its a fake and touristy area, but it still has a wonderful charm about it. Not to mention the natural beauty. Its a tiny island that violently juts out from the ocean with beautiful cliffs, ravines and cravasses. Also, I have yet to see a car... all foot traffic. Just my speed.



The ferry ride was a great treat as well. I got to know several of the other passengers. Ryan is a young aussie who has set out for 2 years of travel after finishing college. He just set out and on his first night in Phuket and met a very nice vietnamese prostitute (above). They have been traveling together the past few days. He had done some traveling in chiange mai and was happy to tell me how great it was there. They were a fun 'couple' and made the ferry ride very enjoyable. I also had my first drink of alcohol with them on the ferry (hard to believe I made it that long but i wasnt feelng too well). I hope to run into them again.
I can not go on enough about how beautiful this place is. I have already taken more photos here then my 2 full days in Phuket. I will try to post them soon.



Once we landed at the port (even the port was beautiful) I walked off to a sea of thais trying to 'help' you find accommidations. Being of a bit more sound mind then when i arrived at the phuket airport, I decided to take one up on his offers. (they were much more friendly here anyhow)... My new friend took me to his office and we found some accomidations. I now have a bungalow on the east end of the beach for 4 days. Pricetag: 1650 baht per night or 6600 baht. Yep, i have increased my standard of living. I can actually see the beach from it... though you have to sort of look off to the side of the view. :)
It has air, tv, western toilet, nice shower, fridge, etc. All an american could want. I even spent some time watching tv after I arrived.
If I had any complaints about Phi Phi so far (besides the strong but comfy touristy feel) is that it also feels a bit like spring break. I kind of feel old here. I would guess average age of travelers here is 23. There are a few older farts like me around though. Possibly I will lie about my age if asked! :)
Tonight I also had my 2nd authentic Thai meal. Splendidly spicy. No doubt that my last two meals are far superior to any thai I have ever had. I had two Singhai with my meal and plan to grab a few more tonight.
Ive also heard word that there is a party on the beach tonight. I might wonder that way.
So 4 days to go on Phi Phi island. I am going to be lazy, get some sun, swim and be lazy.. oh and did i say be lazy? :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds wonderful--glad you have finally gotten off the endless flights to nowhere! Relax and enjoy. Miss you!