Saturday, December 1, 2007

Saturday in Paris

Today is Saturday. I am lame. No, really... lame.

My achilles tendon on my left foot is as bad as it has ever been. I can hardly walk on it. That is a full week now that it has been bothering me. Damn, i must be getting old or something. Also, I am pretty sure these shoes I am wearing were not really meant as great walking shoes. And they are getting plenty of use lately.

This morning I woke up and had to get my morning parmesan panini. I hadnt showered yet and was just quickly dressed and with a strong limp I probably looked like a homeless man in the streets of Paris. Turns out my favorite panini shop is closed on Saturday! The shame. So I bobbled back towards the Hotel Notre Dame and got one from a different shop. Not as good, but tasty nonetheless.

I do have some fun plans tonight but am starting to wonder if I will be able to make it or not. I found an American Expat online group that is getting together tonight at an Irish bar that happens to be right down the road. Problem is, they are doing a bar/scavenger hunt game. Where you go from one bar to another and they recommend good walking shoes for it. Sounds great, except I walk about .25 miles per hour right now. So the people on my team would probably have to carry me and I doubt they would like that. So, if I am still limpin around like a gimp in 2 hours I might have to pass. :(

My goals for today were to get some tickets bought for the rest of my trip. But let me tell you something... that is a surprise to me... planning and purchasing tickets for a trip can be a very long and frustrating experience. I spent a good 3 hours this morning and got really nothing accomplished. Its like this:

I want to go to Destination A, B and C. I do not care what order specifically. And Destination B is not too important so I could always go to Destination D if B doesn't work out.

So, I look online, find a cheap flight to Destination A. I check for flights out of there 3 days later and there aren't ANY that wont cost a fortune. So, check flights to Destination B and there are none affordable. Hmmm, so I try C and thats ok, but the only cheap flights out take me to Destination E, which I hadnt realy considered but possibly.


You get the picture.. Its terribly frustrating cause overall, none of it is as cheap as I would like for it to be and my budget is very tight right now.

Also, to add an additional complexity level to it all. I recently found out a good friend from Portland is in Europe. She has invited me to Ireland where her and her boyfriend will be visiting her aunt this Wednesday to Sunday. I could stay at the aunt's for free just outside Dublin!

I don't really like the idea of back tracking, but its free rent! And it would be fun to be with friends again. But this might mean no Italy or Amsterdam (which I am considering avoiding anyhow cause its very expensive).

So, I have decisions to make and I am not making them fast enough. I need to buy some tickets today.... right now...

Again, this has me thinking that a bit more pre-planning could be a good thing. I mean I like the idea of being able to make new decisions on the fly, but ... oh well...


Yesterday, I walked all over Paris again and took lots of photos of the city.

I also walked outside the Louvre and shot more photos (below) of the exterior. And, I found out that the first Sunday of every month, all museums in Paris are free! Which means I can go to the Louvre tomorrow and take pictures! And I just might.







2 comments:

Christina said...

Hello Christopher! I am glad you are taking this journey, maybe you will find that you do have a soul. It is probably just buried deep :-). Lots of alchol should kill the pain in your foot, or at least numb it enough to keep you going. Hope you will be home for Christmas. Have fun and drink lots!! - Christina

thesilvercup said...

Christina!
Hi! Yeah, I guess I am doing some soul searching afterall. :)
I will let you know if I find it! Possibly in Italy.
Foot for the most part is just a nuisance. Usually just hurts enough to make me limp and walk like a gimp.
I will not be in Indianapolis for Christmas. :( I will be in Denver though with Lisa and kids.
Thanks for the post!
And trust me, I have plenty of drinks! Thats why i am so broke!!! :)
chris